It all started in 1910 with three brothers.
It was in the early years of the electrification of the railroad systems, and the German brothers entered the industry and began learning and perfecting the trade.
In 1920, William (the youngest of the three) started Garrett Electric Company, a family business that operated until 1934. It was one of many businesses forced to close as a result of The Depression.
While the business was closed, the family remained electricians by trade, and in 1960 Williams sons – William Jr. and Garrett – founded Garrett Electrical Contractors, Inc. in Baltimore, MD. As a union contracting business, Garrett Electrical specialized in design and build work, as well as temperature control installations for major buildings.
Garrett German completed his apprenticeship in 1950, working union jobs at Bethlehem Steel, Sparrows Point, and Fort Detrick in Frederick, MD. After becoming a journeyman electrician, he worked on other Maryland landmarks such as the first Harbor Tunnel and the NSA Building.
In 1977, Garrett and his wife Rena decided to move to Maryland’s Eastern Shore. At that time, he left Garrett Electrical Contractors and founded Garrett German & Sons in Stevensville, MD.